Food Friday - Cheesy Spinach Egg Bake
If you like cooking with eggs but you get tired of eating them the same way, this is a delicious way to have them!
When I first saw this recipe I thought, hmm…not sure if this will be that great but I’ll give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! This might be my new go-to recipe when I want something different and simple! If you like cooking with eggs but you get tired of eating them the same way, this is a delicious way to have them!
I got this out of the book The Big Book of Ketogenic Diet Cooking by Jen Fisch. There are tons of great recipes in there and I’m loving the book! So give this a try and see what you think. :)
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES
Nonstick cooking spray
3 ounces fresh spinach
½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
4 large eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
¼ cup ground pork rinds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 9-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the spinach in the baking dish first, and top with ¼ cup of Gruyère cheese. Create four wells for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time, in a small bowl and then gently add one to each well.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the heavy cream over the baking dish and then add the remaining ¼ cup of Gruyère cheese. Sprinkle the ground pork rind dust over the spinach and cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the eggs reach your desired level of doneness. Garnish with the parsley.
Variation: You can also toss 2 diced Roma tomatoes into this dish. If you do, add the tomatoes to the baking dish first, then season and add the spinach.
My personal notes
- I couldn’t find Gruyère cheese at my store and I searched online and found that it’s a type of Swiss cheese so I just shredded some Swiss.
- I didn’t put the eggs in a bowl first - I don’t get the point. lol! I put them right into the dish.
- I had some Bella mushrooms on hand so I sliced those up and put them on top. I’ve made the dish a second time already and I cooked a few pieces of bacon and crumbled that on the top as well the second time. I feel like you could get creative and add anything you wanted to this - onion, avocado, or the tomato as mentioned at the end of the recipe.
Enjoy! Tell me what you think if you try it!